Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Today's Eats in Winter Park

I must be catching up on long lost rest as I slept in nicely this morning, again. Here in the condo Rex and I have instant oatmeal and fresh blueberries* for our breakfast but today Rex suggested we go into town. Yesterday we had eaten lunch at a bakery-cafe called Carver's. It's actually the closest eating establishment to where we are staying and it's really a great place. Without a blink we agreed to try breakfast there. With such a beautiful day we would have preferred an outdoor table but all of them were in the sun so we stayed inside to eat.

We were given both breakfast and lunch menus as it was already pushing 11:00 a.m. I have already admitted I slept in so this should come as no huge surprise that I was thinking breakfast so late in the day. As we studied the menu I suddenly remembered that we had seen a sign yesterday at lunch that on Tuesdays they had $3.00 Bloody Marys and Screwdrivers. We confirmed this with our waitress and were soon enjoying our morning cocktails. Rex had the tomato-based one and I had the O.J. one.

Our breakfast food was nicely served and I had a half serving of a homemade biscuit with sausage gravy. I only picked on it enough to get a taste of one of my favorite things that I don't usually let myself order . Rex had the usual fare of eggs, potatoes, ham, sausage and bacon. He shared the bacon with me as he knows it's another one of my all time limited favorites.

I don't know if it was the morning sippers but Rex and I had a very lazy afternoon. We eventually even took naps. I know for my part, I've been exhausted and I'm very thankful for this time of rest and recovery.

Dinner was not the easiest thing for us to find. We went back to the Cooper Creek Square which is the downtown of Winter Park and where Carver's is also located. We were going to try the Chinese Restaurant, New Hong Kong, but it didn't open, even after 5 pm. We then walked down the square to try the Italian Restaurant, Alberto's, but on their door their hours posted showed us they were closed on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. We decided that must have also explained the New Hong Kong restaurant considering they never had any hours posted on their door. I had seen an open sign at the Chinese restaurant yesterday so I knew they were still in business. Something to consider anymore these days. Also in the square was a BBQ place we had considered and had over ruled in favor of these other two places. We knew for sure the BBQ restaurant was open so we went to Smokin' Moe's for dinner.

It's a cute place with a stage for live entertainment and lots of signs and decor to look at. I ordered the BBQ pork sandwich and Rex got the BBQ brisket. Our plan was to bring home leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I had been looking forward to Chinese leftovers but the BBQ will be just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment